Friday, October 4, 2013

Shadow Your Student Day aka Ditch Day

For six years I have been blessed to attend what is known around these parts as Shadow Your Student day in Junior High. Okay, maybe blessed isn't the word, but I've gone faithfully for six years! I didn't want my girls to be the ONLY one in Junior High without their mom there (I told Steve next year he's taking the morning off to participate). Besides, Haley thinks Andie is missing her childhood (Rylee and Haley stayed up late Andie's 12th birthday eve to decorate while Steve and I were sleeping.)

So this morning the alarm clock went off at 5:45 so I could shower and get ready for my seventh year in Junior High. Sigh.

But then a marvelous thing happened, the federal government shut down Jack (as Brooke would say). My friend Kristen Bloomfield texted me and said, "The government is shut down, they can't tell me what to do, Julie and I aren't going to Shadow Your Student Day!" Now technically, as Andie would later explain, the state runs its own education department (see, school is good!) but I had to explain to her that the Obamas are trying to tell even the schools what to do! That Michelle Obama is trying to tell us what to serve our children for lunch. Andie said, "Well take a look at our food Michelle, see the grease on our pizza!" Just love my little conservative.

I digress.

After Kristen's text came in I looked hopefully over at Andie and said, "Bloomfields are ditching today. They want us to go to In-n-Out with them for lunch." And as we like to say reminiscent of Duck Dynasty "she gone." And that was that.

We ran to the school to turn in a math assignment and then quickly hurried home so Andie wouldn't get pulled in by the bustle of excited (uh huh, sure) students as they made their way to class.

Upon arriving home our doorbell rang and my first thought was, "They found us! We're sunk!" But it was only lovely Julie Bloomfield at our door with a tin of nice warm cinnamon rolls. "Happy ditch day," she said.

Happy, happy, happy!


And here are the cute girls at In-n-Out.


Hey! We weren't the only ditchers either!

No comments:

Post a Comment